Saturday, February 28, 2009

"Gigablast Search Engine"

Gigablast now has a more professional, but still recognizable, logo, and a new catch phrase, "Information Acceleration". Lots of changes on the back end. You should notice significantly higher quality searches. The spider algorithm was sped up several times. Gigablast should be able to index several million documents per day, but that still remains to be tested. . Site clustering was sped up. I added the ability to force all query terms to be required by using the &rat=1 cgi parm. Now Gigablast will automatically regenerate some of its databases when they are missing. And I think I wasted two weeks working like a dog on code that I'm not going to end up using! I hate when that happened.


Reaction:
Gigablast now generates related concepts for your query. I call them Giga Bits. I believe it is the best concept generator in the industry, but if you don't think so please drop me a note explaining why not, so I can improve it.
You can also ask Gigablast a simple question like "Who is President of Russia?" and it often comes up with the correct answer in the Giga Bits section. How do you think it does that?
In other news, the spider speed ups I rolled a few weeks ago are tremendously successful. I can easily burn all my bandwidth quota with insignificant load on my servers. I could not be happier with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment